Browne proudly imports superior farmed seafood and caviar from around the globe. We have distribution rights, many exclusive, with some of the top producers in the world. Our distinguished line of products includes the finest imported and domestic seafood: Stolt Turbot, Dover sole from Spain, Label Rouge Salmon of Scotland, Caviar Galilee of Israel, and Veta la Palma of Spain are just some of the preferred suppliers.
We look for suppliers who use the best farming practices when raising their seafood, emphasizing sustainably raised, environmentally conscious, and all-naturally fed fish. To this end, we require that our producers provide information on their products and harvesting methods and procedures.
We look for the following criteria when selecting farm-raised seafood:
- Fish are free of artificial colorants, harmful antibiotics, pesticides, antifoulants, and preservatives.
- All fish are received fresh, never frozen.
- No steroids, hormones, and no GMO (Genetic Modification) of any kind.
- Fish have non-detectable levels of mercury or PCBs and are subject to testing.
- Raised in low stocking densities to promote fish health, prevent disease, and minimize harvest site effluence.
- Low stress and humane harvesting and handling practices.
- Minimal environmental impact due to effluence or escape.
- For open sea farms, we look for high water tidal exchange and “fallow” system practices.
- If the farm is located inland, we seek those utilizing closed systems with recycled or Zero Water Exchange.
- Sustainable sources of feed, non-land-based animals or byproducts, and certified organic feed when possible.
- If using wild seafood items for feed, we seek producers using sustainable sources where fish are not in jeopardy.
- Traceability systems extend the entire supply chain, from the brood stock and juveniles, through their growth and harvest and shipment to Browne Trading Co.
- Preference for certifications from institutions such as the Marine Stewardship Council and France’s Label Rouge Designation.
We believe these listed best practices result in superior, healthier products that reduce the strain to wild stocks in high commercial demand.